- 1 What genre form of fiction is best described as evoking an atmosphere of mystery and terror?
- 2 What is the best definition of the literary term allusion quizlet?
- 3 Which literary term means the characters qualities?
- 4 Which of the following means the atmosphere of a story?
- 5 Who is the father of gothic literature?
- 6 What influenced gothic literature?
- 7 What is the best definition of the literary term allusion?
- 8 What is definition of allusion?
- 9 What is the purpose of an allusion quizlet?
- 10 What are the 7 types of characters?
- 11 What are the 2 types of characterization?
- 12 What are the 10 literary terms?
- 13 What are examples of the atmosphere?
- 14 How do you describe atmosphere?
- 15 What are the different types of atmosphere?
What genre form of fiction is best described as evoking an atmosphere of mystery and terror?
Gothic literature is often described with words such as “wonder” and “terror.”
What is the best definition of the literary term allusion quizlet?
Allusion Definition. Allusion is a brief and indirect reference to a person, place, thing or idea of historical, cultural, literary or political significance. It does not describe in detail the person or thing to which it refers.
Which literary term means the characters qualities?
Characterization as a literary tool was coined in the mid 15th century. Aristotle in his Poetics argued that “tragedy is a representation, not of men, but of action and life.” Thus the assertion of the dominance of plot over characters, termed “plot-driven narrative,” is unmistakable.
Which of the following means the atmosphere of a story?
In literature, mood is the atmosphere of the narrative. Mood is created by means of setting (locale and surroundings in which the narrative takes place), attitude (of the narrator and of the characters in the narrative), and descriptions.
Who is the father of gothic literature?
He was best known as an author of gothic fiction. He had a life of misfortune and indigence. Edgar Allan Poe was born on January 19,1809 in Boston, Massachusetts to two striving actors, David Poe Jr. and Elizabeth Arnold Poe.
What influenced gothic literature?
In 1764, Horace Walpole introduced to the world a new genre of literature known as Gothic fiction. He employed elements of the supernatural as well as the everyday in a manner to strike fear into the reader. This movement influenced the philosophy, art, architectural, music and literature of that period.
What is the best definition of the literary term allusion?
allusion is a brief and indirect reference to a person, place, thing or idea of historical, cultural, literary or political significance.
What is definition of allusion?
Allusion, in literature, an implied or indirect reference to a person, event, or thing or to a part of another text. Most allusions are based on the assumption that there is a body of knowledge that is shared by the author and the reader and that therefore the reader will understand the author’s referent.
What is the purpose of an allusion quizlet?
What is the purpose of an allusion? Allusions enable the readers/viewers to understand new information like characters, plot, and setting by connecting it to something already known.
What are the 7 types of characters?
7 Character Roles in Stories. If we categorize character types by the role they play in a narrative, we can hone in on seven distinct varieties: the protagonist, the antagonist, the love interest, the confidant, deuteragonists, tertiary characters, and the foil.
What are the 2 types of characterization?
There are two types of characterization in fiction writing:
- Indirect characterization.
- Direct characterization.
What are the 10 literary terms?
Top 10 Key Literary Devices
What are examples of the atmosphere?
An example of atmosphere is the ozone and other layers which make up the Earth’s sky as we see it. An example of atmosphere is the air and gases contained inside a greenhouse. The air or climate in a specific place. The gaseous envelope (air) surrounding the earth to a height of c.
How do you describe atmosphere?
Here are some adjectives for atmosphere: frightfully masculine, rollicking carnival, glaring azure, rich and dangerously hot, carnival & revival, cooler, clear, brisk pure, wholesome free, foggy, turbulent, nomic-political, aromatic ammoniacal, gross and gloomy, deep, cloud-flecked, distinctly unreal, distinctly fetid,
What are the different types of atmosphere?
The different layers of the atmosphere
- The Troposphere. This is the lowest part of the atmosphere – the part we live in.
- The Stratosphere. This extends upwards from the tropopause to about 50 km.
- The Mesosphere. The region above the stratosphere is called the mesosphere.
- The Thermosphere and Ionosphere.
- The Exosphere.
- The Magnetosphere.