- 1 What are some examples of oxymoron?
- 2 What is oxymoron give 5 examples?
- 3 What is oxymoron and give examples?
- 4 How do you use oxymoron in a sentence?
- 5 Is awfully good an oxymoron?
- 6 Can a person be an oxymoron?
- 7 Is upside down an oxymoron?
- 8 What’s a paradox example?
- 9 Is Alone together an oxymoron?
- 10 What is the difference between irony and oxymoron?
- 11 Is clearly confused an oxymoron?
- 12 What is a simple definition of oxymoron?
- 13 What are the 5 examples of metaphor?
- 14 What’s a personification example?
- 15 What is another word for oxymoron?
What are some examples of oxymoron?
- Act naturally.
- Alone together.
- Amazingly awful.
- Clearly confused.
- Dark light.
- Deafening silence.
- Definitely maybe.
What is oxymoron give 5 examples?
Suddenly the room filled with a deafening silence. The comedian was seriously funny. You are clearly confused by the situation you have found yourself in. Her singing was enough to raise the living dead.
What is oxymoron and give examples?
One oxymoron example is “deafening silence,” which describes a silence that is so overpowering it almost feels deafening, or extremely loud—just as an actual sound would. Oxymorons are often used in everyday conversation and in a breadth of writing, such as literature, poetry, and songwriting.
How do you use oxymoron in a sentence?
Oxymoron sentence example
- The phrase ‘mature male’ seemed like an oxymoron.
- The term married dating would seem to be an oxymoron, but a closer look at today’s topsy-turvy culture shows that just isn’t so.
- It almost sounds like an oxymoron that there is classical music listening online.
Is awfully good an oxymoron?
My dictionary defines today’s oxymoron as a “combination of contradictory or incongruous words.” If you stop to think about it, two of our more common oxymorons are “terribly nice” and “awfully good.” Never use “awfully good” when praising someone’s cooking, and never use “terribly nice” to describe a kiss.
Can a person be an oxymoron?
Can a person be an oxymoron? While we are loath to place restrictions on language use, oxymoron usually refers to a set of contradictory words (such as bittersweet) rather than to a contradictory person.
Is upside down an oxymoron?
Although this oxymoron may not be entirely incorrect, it still has contradicting meanings. When something is facing upwards, then how is it down? It’s just funny that we use the word “upside” to represent something that is turned.
What’s a paradox example?
Here are some thought-provoking paradox examples: Save money by spending it. If I know one thing, it’s that I know nothing. This is the beginning of the end. Deep down, you’re really shallow.
Is Alone together an oxymoron?
It’s difficult to see alone together in a sentence. A seeming oxymoron is alone together, which is what was asked of Clinton. Upon returning home, Rodney finds Cassandra and her boss Stephen, seemingly alone together. There appears to be sexual tension whenever Fiona and Jesse are alone together.
What is the difference between irony and oxymoron?
Irony is a literary device that relies on the difference between expectation and outcome. An oxymoron is a figure of speech where two words of opposite meaning are used together.
Is clearly confused an oxymoron?
“Clearly confused” would be considered an oxymoron. The word oxymoron is actually — uh — an oxymoron. It comes from two Greek words meaning “sharp” and “dull.” Its literal translation into English can be “pointedly foolish.”
What is a simple definition of oxymoron?
An “oxymoron” is a figure of speech that has two contradictory or opposite words appearing side by side. So, basically, it’s a combination of two words that really have opposite meanings, but we use them, you know, regularly in sentences and phrases.
What are the 5 examples of metaphor?
- The snow is a white blanket.
- He is a shining star.
- Her long hair was a flowing golden river.
- Tom’s eyes were ice as he stared at her.
- The children were flowers grown in concrete gardens.
- Kisses are the flowers of affection.
- The falling snowflakes are dancers.
- The calm lake was a mirror.
What’s a personification example?
Personification means: “Giving an object or animal human characteristics to create interesting imagery.” An example of personification would be in the nursery rhyme “Hey Diddle Diddle” where “the little dog laughed to see such fun.” “Making an object or animal act and look like they are human.”
What is another word for oxymoron?
What is another word for oxymoron?