- 1 Which is the longest poem in English?
- 2 What is a very long poem called?
- 3 Which is the first long written poem in English?
- 4 How many pages is the longest poem?
- 5 What do the words long I stood mean in the poem?
- 6 What is a sad poem called?
- 7 What is the easiest type of poem to write?
- 8 What are the 5 types of poems?
- 9 What is a serious poem?
- 10 Can a poem be too long?
- 11 What was the first poem written?
- 12 How many lines is a long poem?
- 13 What is the longest book in the world?
- 14 What is the longest word in the world?
- 15 Which is the second longest epic in the world?
Which is the longest poem in English?
The longest single-author poem in English is reputed to be My Blah Story by US writer Nigel Tomm, which stretches to 23,161 lines. The early English epic poem Beowulf comes to just over 3,000 lines, while Samuel Taylor Coleridge’s The Rime of the Ancient Mariner runs to 625 lines.
What is a very long poem called?
An epic is a long and narrative poem that normally tells a story about a hero or an adventure. Epics can be presented as oral or written stories. “The Iliad” and “The Odyssey” are probably the most renowned epic poems.
Which is the first long written poem in English?
Beowulf was one of the first long poems in English.
How many pages is the longest poem?
Finally, the longest poem occupies almost all Nigel Tomm’s book “The Blah Story, Volume 8.” The poem contains 98,728 words; 449,441 characters (with spaces); 23,161 lines; 728 pages. The poem is called “My Blah Story” and is written by one novel’s character.
What do the words long I stood mean in the poem?
Answer:The phrase “long I stood” characterizes the speaker’s deliberations as significant and weighty. It is therefore more aligned with a metaphorical reading of the poem, as being about life choices, than a literal one.
What is a sad poem called?
Because it’s associated with death, an elegy is considered a sad or melancholy poem.
What is the easiest type of poem to write?
Acrostic poems are generally quick and easy to write and open students minds to the understanding that poetry is a non conventional style of writing which doesn’t always have to make perfect sense.
What are the 5 types of poems?
From sonnets and epics to haikus and villanelles, learn more about 15 of literature’s most enduring types of poems.
- Blank verse. Blank verse is poetry written with a precise meter—almost always iambic pentameter—that does not rhyme.
- Rhymed poetry.
- Free verse.
- Narrative poetry.
- Pastoral poetry.
What is a serious poem?
Epic. An extensive, serious poem that tells the story of a heroic figure. Epigram. A very short, ironic and witty poem usually written as a brief couplet or quatrain. The term is derived from the Greek epigramma meaning inscription.
Can a poem be too long?
A poem can be as long as you’d like, or as they say in Wikepedia, “The long poem is a literary genre including all poetry of considerable length.” History is replete with examples of different types of long poems; for example, The Mahābhārata is considered to be the longest poem in the world!
What was the first poem written?
Who Wrote The First Poem Ever? The author of the first poem is unknown. However, The Epic of Gilgamesh is considered to be the first poem ever. Besides the epic, the Rig Vedas of Hinduism and the Song of the Weaver from Egypt are among the first poems ever.
How many lines is a long poem?
It would be difficult to judge long and short for prose poems as there are no length restrictions, but for known forms of poetry, the longest poem is not that long. The sonnet is one of the longest forms, and it is only 14 lines long. Those prose poems are sure long.
What is the longest book in the world?
Over the years, there has been some controversy over what constitutes the world’s longest novel. The Guinness Book of World Records gives the honor to Marcel Proust’s elephantine Remembrance of Things Past, weighing in at 9,609,000 characters (including spaces).
What is the longest word in the world?
Appearing in the Oxford English Dictionary, this 45-letter word for a disease is the longest English word that is defined in a major dictionary. It’s a technical word referring to the lung disease more commonly known as silicosis.
Which is the second longest epic in the world?
Ancient epics (to 500)
- Mahābhārata, composed by Veda Vyasa (the longest epic in the world)
- Ramayana, composed by Valmiki.
- Epic of Gilgamesh (Mesopotamian mythology)
- Epic of Lugalbanda (including Lugalbanda in the Mountain Cave and Lugalbanda and the Anzud Bird, Mesopotamian mythology)